Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nutritional Therapy

"You do not need to count calories if you make every calorie count."
~ John Robbins

I'm a huge fan of Eat to Live and I am frequently eating as if I am on ETL's 6-week plan. I have already done the entire 6-week plan and reached my goal weight, but as Dr. Furhman says, most people are still carrying extra pounds around even if they believe they are the correct weight. That may sound harsh, but if you think about what an extra 5 pounds adds to your heart, lungs, and all organs, why not try to remove the "excess" fat around them? Those 5 pounds may not be noticeable to you or friends, but your body is noticing and is working a little harder because of it. (Note that Dr. Furhman does not promote zero body fat!) So I remain on an ETL plan and focus on nutrient dense foods.

While blog hopping, I discovered another Nutrient-Dense Foods promoter, Dr. McDougall. His philosophy is similar to Dr. Furhman's, but he believes in a 100% vegan diet and also believes in a more carb-based diet. (Dr. Furhman's non-6-week plans do include minimal meat and dairy, so I skip all of that!) I like some of the recipes on the McDougall site, although I do not think I could eat as many carbs as he lists! Check out his philoposhy and his 12 weeks of recipes!

Dr. MsDougall's Free Program Info

or, just take a peek at all the recipes for his 12 week program for ideas:

Dr. McDougall 12 week recipe plan

Like I said, I could not eat that many carbs per day, but I do like the recipes. They are all vegan and use no oils! I like how he does not believe in using oil!

One last site I came across which I will post more on as I find out more, is:

Vegan Done Light by Erin Dame. He was mentioned on PCRM (see my "Veggie Links to the right for more info" and has an ebook of recipes that follow Eat to Live! I already subscribed to his free monthly newsletter. :) His blog is called ZenPawn and shows the current video clip of the Food For Life program which features his recipe: Cherry Hummus. yum!! Check it out! I'm happy I found the site!!

With all of these resources for eating well and focusing on Nutritional Therapy and nutritionally dense foods... low fat eating...eating to live... well, there's no excuse for feeling tired and fat again!

No comments: